Knowing the difference between an EU Directive and an EU Regulation is an important distinction every EHS professional working and/or operating in the region should know.
- Applicable to all Member States
- Sets certain aims, requirements and concrete results that must be achieved in every Member State
- Sets a process for it to be implemented by Member States
- National authorities must create or adapt their legislation to meet these aims by the date specified in each given Directive
- Immediately applicable and enforceable by law in all Member States
- As good practice, Member States issue national legislation that defines the competent national authorities, inspection and sanctions on the subject matter.